A series of more than a dozen bomb and gun attacks have killed two people in southern Thailand.
The synchronised terror attacks, which targeted police, troops and members of the public, injured eight others.
‘This is the work of people who want to cause chaos.
‘It looks like their intention wasn’t to kill but rather to cause disorder,’ Colonel Yutthanam Petchmuang, a spokesman for the Internal Security Operations Command, told Nigerian Pilot
It’s believed the two people killed were insurgents whose explosives detonated unexpectedly.
The attacks took place in 11 different districts in Narathiwat, Pattani and Songkhla provinces near the border with Malaysia.
The region has seen a long-running separatist insurgency: more than 6,500 people, most of them civilians, have died in separatist violence since 2004, when resistance to Buddhist rule flared up.
Thailand is mostly Buddhist but parts of the south are majority Muslim.
As of Wednesday evening, no group had claimed responsibility.
The attacks follow the Thai government’s rejection of a conditional offer for peace talks made this month by one of the main insurgent groups, the Barisan Revolusi Nasional.
The violence was the BRN’s way of showing it is capable of coordinated strikes as a way to push for peace talks, said Srisompob Jitpiromsri, head of independent monitoring group Deep South Watch.
‘This reflects attempts to create conditions for peace talks in the future,” Srisompob, whose group tracks violent incidents in the region, told Reuters.
‘The group is expected to carry out similar attacks periodically, which will likely affect peace dialogues in the long run.’
Talks between the Thai government and a handful of shadowy insurgent groups began in 2013 under the civilian government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, but have stalled since the military overthrew her in 2014.
Earlier this month Thailand’s military junta rejected a conditional offer from the main Muslim separatist group fighting in the south to enter into formal peace talks.