armsIRKED by the damning revelations
on how Nigeria’s defence funds
were allegedly diverted and shared
among politicians, the Economic
and Financial Crimes, EFCC is set
to move against five immediate
service chiefs in connection with
the ongoing probe on the $2billion arms deal.
A highly placed source at the EFCC during the weekend told Nigerian Pilot that the commission has concluded plans to invite former Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Azubike Ihejirika, immediate past Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen.
Kenneth Minimah, immediate past Chief of Air Staff, immediate past Chief of Naval Staff and Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh over their alleged involvement in the scam.  According to the source, the embattled Director of Finance in the office of the NSA had allegedly implicated the service chiefs at the cause of investigation by the operatives of EFCC. The source further added that the letters of invitations are ready for this week. He said the invitation letters will be officially despatched within the week as soon as the acting chairman of EFCC endorses the letters, adding
that the commission is considering further detention of the suspects already in its custody by approaching
an Abuja high court to secure an order to detain the suspects beyond 48 hours. “The EFCC is considering
approaching the court to secure an order to enable it to further detain the high profile suspects in the $2billion
arms deal,” the source explained. Nigerian Pilot yesterday gathered that, apart from Daar Communication
chairman emeritus, High Chief Raymond Dokpesi, former Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda and former Sokoto State Governor, Attahiru Bafarawa, there were many other key suspects detained in EFCC cells in connection with the $2 billion arms deal. Nigerian Pilot also gathered that some highly placed civil servants particularly in the office of the National Security Adviser, NSA, federal ministry of finance and ministry of defence are being held
in the custody of the EFCC for interrogation over their alleged role in the arms deal. A highly placed source at the EFCC has confirmed to Nigerian Pilot that while some of the suspects such as Shuaibu Salihu, who was director of
finance in the office of the National Security Adviser and 19 others
had been in detention for over two
weeks while, Dokpesi, Bafarawa
and Yuguda only joined the suspects
Tuesday when they were invited by
the EFCC for interrogation.
By the Nigeria constitution, they
are expected to be released or charged
to court within 48 hours. Determined
to strictly observe the rule of law
and due process, however, the EFCC
source further told Nigerian Pilot
law that the legal department of the
commission will today approach the
court for the order.
The source further added that more
arrest of highly placed Nigerians in
connection with the arms deal will
be carried out before heading to court
for arraignment.
Efforts to reach the spokesman
of EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren to
comment on the matter proved
abortive as our correspondent placed
several calls which he ignored

READ ALSO  Rivers lawmaker condemns Boko Haram attacks

Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.