More than 30 people were killed in eastern Congo in fighting between the army and a rebel group of Ugandan origin, the Army said on Thursday.

In a statement made available to newsmen, the military listed those killed as 20 members of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) and 11 government soldiers in villages north of the town of Beni.

READ ALSO  CONFUSION OVER EDO GUBER POLL

Army spokesman Mak Mongba said that after Monday killings, the military on Wednesday regained control of the area as the rebels fled.

It would be recalled that the army launched an offensive in January 2014 against the ADF, which was founded in 1995 in Uganda and later moved to Congo, the group massacred hundreds of people in the Beni area last year.

READ ALSO  Heritage bank CEO, Sekibo bags PhD in Credit Management

Dozens of armed groups have remained active in eastern Congo since the 1996-2003 Congo wars, sparked by more than one million Rwandans flooding into the region after the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

READ ALSO  Amnesty Coordinator explains delay in payment of tuition fees

According to human rights activists, many of the armed groups terrorise local people to have free rein in trafficking in the region’s rich natural resources.

dpa/NAN


SHARE
AdAre you a One Minute Man? This Nafdac Approved Solution Would Help you Last 30mins+ with no side effects