Metuh
Metuh

  • As family of aide raises alarm on his health in EFCC custody

Former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Olisa Metuh has distanced himself from a petition asking the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to probe former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Metuh, who is facing a seven-count charge before the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court over alleged N400million fraud, in a statement he issued through his lawyer at the weekend, said he never made confessional statements before the anti-graft agency that implicated President Jonathan.

Jonathan’s former aide’s family raises alarm over health in EFCC custody
Meanwhile, family of former aide to ex-President Jonathan on Domestic Matters, Dr Waripamowei Dudafa, who is currently in the custody of the EFCC, yesterday raised the alarm over what they described as his failing health.
The family alleged that the anti-graft agency had denied Dudafa, who has a relapsed spinal cord challenge, access to proper medical attention.
The alarm came six days after a national daily published that the former presidential aide had been released while he is still in custody with the failing health.
Speaking for the first time since his arrest in April this year, spokesman for the family, Engineer Thomas Akpoebi alleged that family members and the personal physician of the detained Bayelsa born politician had been denied access to him for proper medical attention.
Akpoebi said Dudafa’s health began to deteriorate about two weeks ago just as he debunked the report that EFCC had released him.
“We members of the Dudafa family are frightened at the level of deliberate neglect and abandonment Dr Waripamowei Dudafa has been subjected in the EFCC custody since his incarceration about 50 days ago.
“This is the first time we are constrained to say something to the world since the arrest and detention of our brother and this is deliberate in order for the law to take its full circle despite the media trial that has been orchestrated.
“We are particularly disturbed that the EFCC told a national daily on Wednesday last week that Dudafa had been released. This is far from the truth and an attempt to mislead the public in order to endanger our brother’s life in their custody. This is a despotic way of fighting corruption.
“In the last 12 days, Dudafa has suffered series of health issues that require medical attention. He has been managing a spinal cord challenge which has relapsed significantly in the last: three days. He has had incessant cough and cold with visible signs of malaria and has lost appetite completely. This is worrisome and life threatening because no member of his family has since been allowed to bring in drugs let alone bring in his personal physician to carry out necessary checks on him.
“All the EFCC has done is too buy paracetamol and novalgin tablets for him. This is unacceptable and very despotic on the part of the anti-graft agency because no law prohibits medical care for suspects. His efforts to even reach family members to bring in his prescribed drugs have been frustrated by the EFCC as his mobile lines are all seized while other suspects are allowed access to communicate with their families. This is just unfortunate.
“We are using this medium to call on the international community to step in with regards to this ugly tendency that has lately characterized the partisan, selective operations of the EFCC. We say we are worried that our brother’s health is declining and in dire need for medicals. He must not be allowed to die in custody,” Akpoebi said in the statement.


Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.
SHARE