Gunmen yesterday killed three soldiers attached to the joint task force in the Niger Delta, Operation Pulo Shield, in Southern Ijaw Local Government of Bayelsa.
According to eyewitness, the militants operating on a boat attacked the soldiers stationed at Foropa and made away with their guns after killing them.
At the meantime, it is not clear where the gunmen sprang from, but residents of the area have fled their homes, fearing revenge invasion on the village.
Yesterday also, robbers shot and killed two mobile policemen attached to JTF in front of Our Lady’s High School, Airport Junction, Effurun, Delta State.
Meanwhile, activities at the Rivers State judiciary headquarters, Port Harcourt, were grounded yesterday morning following the murder of two security personnel attached to the judiciary.
The two security personnel, Promise Umeh and another named Obinna were killed by unknown gunmen at about 3am.
This happened just 24 hours after gunmen killed five policemen and three other people.
Also in another development, unknown gunmen on Monday night shot and killed a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Rivers State, Mr. Charles Otukpor, and two others in Bori.
Our correspondent who visited the scene of the incident reported that the judiciary area was cordoned off by armed policemen and anti bomb squad while judiciary workers, lawyers and litigants were denied access into the court premises.
It was also gathered that the gunmen attacked and overpowered the armless security personnel with matches, axes and sticks.
It was further learnt that two of the security guards were murdered in their sleep while one was badly injured and receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital in Port Harcourt and other one escaped with no injury.
The chief security officer of the judiciary, Dabotubo Douglas who confirmed the incident in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt, said he noticed some stains of blood all over the High Court part of the judiciary.
Douglas further said that when he sought to know where the blood was coming from, he was told that two of his security guards had been murdered by unknown gunmen.
The CSO, who described the incident as evil and inhumane, said all the court had severally applied for deployment of police officers from the state police command and just received reply that police officers would be sent same day of the incident.
“Since I became the chief security officer in this court, we have never experienced crisis like this. It’s unfortunate that this incident happened this morning.
“We have 10 security men on duty. This morning we came to work and saw blood, saw where two innocent people that left their homes to come to work met their death.
“There was no gunshot; these people used machete, axe and sticks to overpower the victims and they came through the main gate. Since April we have not been seeing police here and we have written.
“Just yesterday, they replied our letter that they would resume today and as at the time of this incident, there was no police on ground. We have handed over the incident to the police to investigate, maybe later they will come up with their reports,” he said.
Also speaking at the scene of incident, the acting chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Port Harcourt branch, Chief Akuro George condemned the attack, saying that it was a dehumanised act and desecration of the temple of justice.
Confirming the incident, the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ahmad Muhammad said the police were investigating the incident.
Ahmad denied the allegation that the police refused to deploy officers to secure the court, adding that “we have been doing our duty. What we have is Justice Protection Unit and not the Court Protection Unit. We are investigating the incident and at the end we will make our discoveries open.”
In related development, gunmen attacked the Port Harcourt Maximum Prisons same Monday night.
A prison warder who pleaded anonymity told Nigerian Pilot that the gunmen stormed the prisons through the Abuja axis of the Port Harcourt Township at about 11pm but were repelled by prisons armed men.
As at the time of filing this report, no casualty was recorded at the prison premises.
In similar development, suspected robbers yesterday shot two mobile policemen in Warri, Delta State.
It was gathered from a reliable source that the two police officers attached to the JTF were shot by the gunmen at the gate of Our Lady’s High School, Airport Junction, Effurun.
The slain officers in mufti were coming from one of the new generation banks in the area before they were accosted by the robbers who allegedly made away with their money.
It was also gathered that one of the mobile policemen died on the spot and the other one who was rushed to the Central Hospital, Warri, gave up the ghost in the hospital when doctors were battling to save him.
When contacted on telephone at about 5.30pm, the Divisional Police Officer for Enerhen Police Division declined comments.
The State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Celestina Kalu did not respond to calls but sources close to the police confirmed the incident, describing it as very unfortunate.
Meanwhile, the killing spree seems to have more grip on Rivers, as unknown gunmen on Monday night also shot and killed a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the state, Mr. Charles Otukpor and two others in Bori, headquarters of Khana Local Government Area of the state.
Nigerian Pilot gathered the trio was shot dead by the rampaging gunmen who were riding on a motorcycle along the Polytechnic Road in Bori, traditional headquarters of the Ogoni ethnic nationality.
Nigerian Pilot further gathered that Otukpor, until his untimely death, was a staunch supporter of Senator Godwin Abe and a staff of the Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Bori, while one of the two others identified as Nekabari is also a member of APC in Ward 1, Khana Local Government Area of the state.
When contacted, state Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, DSP Ahmad Muhammad, confirmed the killing of the three persons in Bori.
Meanwhile, the APC candidate for Rivers South-East senatorial district, Senator Magnus Abe has described the continued killings of citizens across the state as genocide against Rivers people, especially Ogonis.
Abe, who spoke to journalists at the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa, was reacting to a statement credited to the PDP which alleged that the immediate past administration of former Governor Chibuike Amaechi killed the security system in the state.
While advising the PDP-led government to support the police without conditions, the APC chieftain accused the state government of not doing enough to secure the lives and property of people in the state.
He challenged the state chairman of PDP, Chief Felix Obuah and the government to arrest and prosecute wanted former militant leader, Chief Solomon Ndigbara and other suspected criminals in the state without political interference.
“No meaningful development can take place in the face of insecurity in a society like Rivers State where life has no value again, criminality and other vices now the order of the day. Such society will they say they have a government?”
Late Otukpor’s death came barely three weeks after gunmen also attacked and killed a lecturer of the Polytechnic at Yeghe, Gokana LGA.