Bloody Thursday! ...Gunmen kill 33 in fresh attack on Southern Kaduna villages — Nigerian Pilot News
Connect with us

Headlines

Bloody Thursday! …Gunmen kill 33 in fresh attack on Southern Kaduna villages

Published

on

*Attackers operated unchallenged for over 4 hours
*Many houses burnt, hundreds displaced
*Soldiers came on motorcycles, armoured tank but couldn’t stop them– eyewitness

Carnage in southern part of Kaduna State continued yesterday as no fewer than 33 persons
have been reported killed in fresh attack on communities in four villages of Zangon Kataf
Local Government Area of the state by unknown gunmen.
The attackers were reported to have launched coordinated attacks on A’Piako, Kibori,
Apyia’Shyim and Atak’Mawei villages in Atyep Chiefdom of Zangon Kataf Local Government
Area.
It was further reported that the gunmen operated unchallenged throughout the night,
taking advantage of an all-night rain.
“It rained all through the night in the area and the attackers had unchallenged operations
from around 10pm Wednesday which entered early hours of Thursday.
“By the time they were done, 22 corpses have so far been recovered at about 12pm today
(Thursday) while the search is still on. They also burnt several houses,” the report added.
The report quoted a resident of Atak’mawei village in Zamandabo ward, Irimiya Gandu as
saying that no fewer than 13 persons were killed and many houses burnt down in his
community.
According to the report, “around 1:00 am, I was already asleep when I heard the sound of
guns. As I stepped out from our compound we could hear the gunshots from Apia’akum
Community and far Kibori village were already under attack. I rushed into my house and
brought out my families and ran to a safer place.
“So far, 13 persons are killed mostly children and women. We are still looking for more.
Many houses were burnt also,” the report further explained.
Also, a survivor from Apia’ahko village, Samson Alat was quoted to have said that an aged
man, a little child and youth were killed when armed men invaded the village.
“They burnt the house of late Col. Bobai and five important houses and stole from the
village.
“Soldiers came on motor bikes and an armoured tank, but they could not stop these wicked
people. We were hiding inside maize farm and we saw them. This was around 1am last
night. We are still looking for more missing people,” the survivor stated.
On his part, a resident in Apiashyim, Jonathan Ishaya said six persons were killed during the
attack in his community and the village almost entirely razed, explaining that the armed
men invaded the community heavily armed at around 11:00pm of Wednesday, shooting
sporadically.
Meanwhile, Secretary, Atyap Traditional Council, Mr. Stephen Akut, also confirmed the
development to journalists, saying that, “the attackers were said to be in large numbers and
the casualty figures are still sketchy. Security operatives have been mobilized to the affected

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Loading...

Most Read