- Kill scores in Yobe
Defence Deadquarters, DHQ, Abuja, said Boko Garam terrorists have now devised another means of recruiting unsuspecting youths into their fold by providing loans to young entrepreneurs and artisans in the North-East as a way of inducing them for recruitment.
The military high command stressed that the major targets of the unholy business engagement were youths in the North-East, especially the butchers, traders, tailors, beauticians and other vocational entrepreneurs who could be easily enticed with such loan without paying attention to sundry inherent dangers associated “with the acceptance of such goodies from this satanic group or unfamiliar source.”
The acting director of Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Rabe Abubakar disclosed in a statement yesterday that after such loans, the beneficiaries were given the option of either joining the group or risk being killed if they failed to pay the loan as at when due, whereas the payment had been surreptitiously programmed to fail by the benefactor, the Boko Haram.
General Abubakar stated that, “It is pertinent to state that having been effectively decimated and degraded, the remnant or surviving splinter groups of Boko Haram are desperate to recruit more people into their ranks and files as a result of sustained onslaught against them by the troops.”
According to the statement, “The Defence Headquarters hereby advises the general public, especially those in the North-East, to constantly be weary and conscious of various tactics of the desperate Boko Haram.
“They should be guided to avoid loan or financial assistance from non-conventional source but from conventional financial institutions such as banks, organised trade unions or institutionalised savings and loans establishments.”
The statement warned that acting otherwise might lead to painful and untimely death from the blood-thirsty Boko Haram terrorists.
Meanwhile, suspected Boko Haram terrorists yesterday attacked and killed scores of defenceless villagers at Zango village, Gulani Local Government area.
This is bringing to three attacks from the terrorists in recent days in the northeast states of Yobe and Borno.
Members of the civilian JTF confirmed that the suspected terrorists invaded the village riding horses last Tuesday around 11:00 pm, as the attackers set ablaze houses and shot indiscriminately at people trying to escape the burning flames.
The medical Director, Sani Abacha Specialist Hospital Damaturu, Dr. Garba Fika also confirmed that the attacked victims were brought to the Hospital and that they are responding to free treatment.
A vigilante, who doesn’t want to be named revealed, told journalists that, “The gunmen came midnight after 11:45pm, set ablaze our houses and opened fire on the people trying to escape. They chased people on horses and open fire on them” .
According to him said there were similar attacks in the neighbouring villages where over 20 people were killed.
“Last two weeks, the militants sacked cluster of villages around those areas, including Gurum and Dokshi where over 2 people were killed and many injured. They are currently receiving treatment at Damaturu Specialist hospital.”