… as fierce battle continues
No fewer than 611 teachers were killed and 19,000 forced to flee the North-Eastern part of Nigeria between 2009 and 2015 due to the Boko Haram insurgency, a UN official said.
OluseyiSoremekun, UN National Information Officer, made the disclosure in a media advisory made available to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, in Abuja.
Mr. Soremekun said the advisory was on a report entitled: “Launch of the 2016 Global Education Monitoring Report in Nigeria” to be launched on Monday in Abuja.
He said the report indicated that more than 910 schools were destroyed, while 1,500 others were closed due to Boko Haram attacks in the North-Eastern part of Nigeria in the same period.
“As of 2015 in Nigeria, where Boko Haram has targeted education workers and students, at least 611 teachers had been deliberately killed and 19,000 forced to flee since 2009.
“According to the report, between 2009 and 2015, attacks in North-Eastern Nigeria destroyed more than 910 schools and forced at least 1,500 to close and teachers are at risk.
“By early 2016, an estimated 952,029 school-age children had fled the violence. Teachers are at risk,’’ he quoted the report as saying.
Mr. Soremekun said that UNESCO and the Federal Ministry of Education would also organise a stakeholders’ forum on the implementation of Goal Four of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
He said that theme of the report is: “Education for People and Planet: Creating Sustainable Futures for All’’.
The new Global Education Monitoring (GEM) Report by UNESCO shows the potential for education to propel progress toward all global goals outlined in the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
According to the report, there is an urgent need for progress in education to speed up.
“On current trends, universal primary education in sub-Saharan Africa will be achieved in 2080, while universal lower secondary completion will be achieved in 2089.
“The universal upper secondary completion will be achieved in 2099.
“This will leave the region 70 years late for the 2030 SDGs deadline,” the report said.
Meanwhile,members of the Boko Haram on Thursday attacked a military location in Borno State killing two soldiers,the insurgents were, however, repelled by soldiers who killed 15 of them,.
The Army spokesperson, SaniUsman, said the insurgents launched the attack at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday and that the battle lasted for two hours.
Apart from the two dead soldiers, four others were injured in the attack, Mr. Usman said.
Troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE Task Force Battle Group and Multinational Joint Task Force presently harbouring in Abadam village dealt decisively with elements of Boko Haram that attempted to attack on their location. The attack which was launched by the terrorist group at about 6:30 am today, Thursday 22nd September 2016 lasted for about 2 hours.
During the fierce battle, the troops killed 15 of the insurgents, with many escaping with gunshot wounds.
Sadly however 2 soldiers paid the supreme price in action while 4 others were wounded in action. The bodies of our late colleagues and the wounded have since been evacuated.
The gallant troops recovered weapons and ammunitions from the insurgents These includes, 1 Gun truck, 1 60mm Mortar tube, 7 60mm Mortar bomb, a General Purpose Machine (GPMG), 3 damaged AK 47 Rifle, 4 Bandoliers of Anti-Aircraft rounds of ammunition.
The troops have continued mop up and clearance operations of the remnants of the terrorists. They have also intensified vigilance and high level of alertness.