Federal Government yesterday reaffirmed its commitment to formally handover the rehabilitated Abuja office of the United Nations for the official use by the world body, having suffered Boko Haram attack in 2011.
Recall that the UN building in Abuja was attacked by the Boko Haram insurgents on August 26, 2011, killing at least 21 and injuring several others and since then, the building has been under renovation.
The Permanent Secretary, Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA, Engr. John Chukwu, told the visiting Secretary-General of the United Nations, Mr. Ban ki-Moon, that he is hopeful that the formal handover of the building for use by the staff of UN will be in six months time.
Engr. Chukwu said that the Federal Government would do everything possible to ensure that the entire renovation and reconstruction work is completed within the period of six months.
After laying a wreath in honour of the victims that died in the unfortunate bomb attack on the UN House in Abuja yesterday, the Permanent Secretary said that the federal government has mandated the contractor, Julius Berger Nigeria, to intensify work on the renovation to ensure timely completion according to specification.
His words: “The contractors already said they would need between five to eight months to get the job fixed but I have asked them to fast track their approach by working 24 hours to get it done within 5 months.”
According to him, “we cannot afford to delay here anymore, this project is very important, because Nigerian government is committed to its obligations.”
The Permanent Secretary reiterated that the FCT Administration and the United Nations have sorted out all grey areas as some of the meetings even included the UN experts.
Speaking at the occasion, the representative of the contractor who also serves as the Division Manager, M/S Julius Berger Nigeria, Mr. Marco Braun, assured that with adequate funding the firm would try its best to deliver.


Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.
SHARE