Following last week’s revelation by the nation’s service chiefs that that not a single kobo out of the N29.958 billion voted for the entire military formations for prosecution of war against Boko Haram insurgency in the N574billion 2015 supplementary budget, has been released to them, some Nigerians have accused President Muhammadu Buhari of not serious to restore peace to the country.
They told Nigerian Pilot Sunday that despite the president’s background as a former military Head of State, he may found it difficult to end the activities of Boko Haram soon as he promised during his electioneering campaign, and believed by many people.
According to a security expert, Barrister John Ameh, “the words of Buhari, who had promised that the military would end insurgency by December 2015, after which there had been series of bomb attacks in the country, cannot be said to be reassuring”.
Ameh said, despite the high expectations of many Nigerians and continued assurances, the government was not pursuing any serious solution to the crisis.
“It was a damming revelation. How can the military they expect to crush the Boko Haram been starved of funds? Nobody expect that to happen under this administration being led by a former military leader.
“The military should be given every necessary support needed to excel in the fight against insurgency if continued bombings and destruction of lives and property must stopped”, he said.
A former member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Felicia Akindahunsi agreed that the present administration should release the allocated fund to the Armed Forces in order to effectively tackle the issue of insurgency.
She pointed out that the federal government has within the last four years, being wagging war against BoKo Haram insurgents in the North Eastern part of the country through the nation’s Armed Forces, with several hiccups.
Akindahunsi said Nigeria is still feeling the consequences of the government’s attempt to destroy the Boko Haram group in 2009 when it started with protest against western education.
She noted that government should have been more serious when the Boko Haram’s headquarters in Borno state capital Maiduguri was destroyed and their founder and leader Muhammad Yusuf captured and then killed in custody.
The politician added that retaliation by the group had led to loss of hundreds of members and many soldiers fighting the war.
The service chiefs led by the Chief of Defense Staff, General Gabriel Abayomi Olorunisakin, had during a closed-door said aside obsolete weapons cum equipment they are being forced to use in prosecuting the war, enough funds are also not made available for them for the needed upgrading of the equipment or re-stocking them with new ones.
Specifically, the service chiefs lamented that not a single kobo out of the N29.958billion voted for the entire military formations for prosecution of war against Boko Haram insurgency in the N574billion 2015 supplementary budget, has been released to them.
They added that the non release of the money, has further put the Nigerian troops at disadvantaged making the end to the war not to be all that feasibly in sight.
Aside the inadequate fund to fight the war, there was issues of alleged sabotage among the uniformed men supporting the Boko Haram insurgents with vital information and even equipment to fight the state.
It will be recalled that the Senate on November 30, 2015, approved a supplementary budget of N574.5 billion, for additional recurrent (non-debt) expenditure for the 2015 fiscal year.
Out of the amount, the sum of N29.9 billion was earmarked as security vote for combating the Boko Haram.

Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.