Candidates and supervisors have shunned conduct of this year’s West African Examinations Council, WAEC examinations in Agatu local government area over the killing of one supervisor last Monday while he was going to a centre at Ayila, a community in the LGA.
The deceased, an indigene of Ogwule-Kaduna was said to have been killed by youths of one of the warring communities who might have mistaken him for an enemy.
The representative of Agatu in the state House of Assembly, Hon. Sule Audu told Nigerian Pilot on phone that the crisis has prevented prospective candidates and supervisors from going for the examination while the deceased, he said, was kidnapped at the crisis-ridden Egba-Ologba area and killed but said he could not confirm his killers.
“I will not be able to say who killed him, whether it was Egba or Ologba people because I was not there. The place, based on the report I received from the police and local government chairman, is a war zone and anybody that passes there could be a casualty. He should have taken an alternative route instead of that war zone route,” Sule said.
According to the legislator, some said he was killed between Egba and Ologba while others said he was killed between Obagaji and Ologba.
To avoid an escalation of the crisis, Audu said he has appealed to the community and youth leaders of Ogwule-Kaduna to remain calm and refrain from revenge as the killers of their kinsman has not even been ascertained.
He said a meeting was convened at Oshigbudu yesterday to enable stakeholders meet to resolve the crisis.
When contacted on phone, the state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Austin Ezeani said the Area Commander in Otukpo, Samuel Drakoji had confirmed that there was something like that but could not confirm whether the man was killed or abducted as there was no blood stain where they saw his footwear.
Ezeani also said the police were still combing the bush in the area, searching for his body as there was no evidence that he was killed.
“They are still searching for his body. They only saw his footwear, so they are still combing the bush to find out if he was killed and dumped in the bush or whether he was abducted,” Ezeani stated.
Efforts to get the identity of the deceased failed as the officer in charge of the WAEC office in Makurdi was said to have travelled to Enugu.
However, one Adebisi who said he was from WAEC office in Lagos described the incident as pathetic and said the body has not received any official report from the area.