House of Representatives yesterday resolved to set up an ad-hoc committee to investigate the circumstances surrounding the contract award for the installation of Closed-Circuit Television, CCTV cameras in Abuja and Lagos as well as failure of ZTE Corporation to complete the contract.
The lower chamber said it would also determine the extent to which the Chinese company paid taxes to the coffers of the government.
The resolution followed a motion sponsored by Hon. Adekoya Abdul-Majid and Hon. James Faleke, titled: “Call for Reactivation/Installation of CCTV Cameras in Abuja, State Capitals and Major Cities and Investigation of the Failure of ZTE Corporation to Complete the Contract to Install CCTV Cameras in Abuja and Lagos.”
In his lead debate, Hon. Abdul-Majid expressed disappointment that the country was currently facing serious security challenges, especially in the North-East.
He lamented that these criminal activities had led to loss of many innocent lives and destruction of properties worth millions of Naira.
The lawmaker recalled that ZTE Corporation obtained the contract in 2010 to install the cameras in Abuja and Lagos at the cost of $470 million.
Abdul-Majid informed his colleagues that in the contractual terms, Nigeria was required to make a down payment of 15 percent, amounting to about $70.50 million, while the Chinese EXIM Bank was to provide the remaining 85 percent amounting to $399.5 million.
He regretted that the failure of ZTE Corporation to complete the contract had led to high security challenges undermining the country.
In its resolution, the House urged the Federal, States and Local Governments to install CCTV cameras and other security gadgets in the Federal Capital Territory, state capitals and major cities across the nation.

READ ALSO  SEC bans BGL MD, deputy for 20 years from capital market activities