NATIONAL Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria, NARD, has resumed work today following the call-off of the nationwide strike embarked upon by the association. President of NARD, Dr. Muhammad Adamu Askira announced this on Saturday in Abuja at a press briefing which he said was due to intervention by the speaker of the House of Representative, Honourable Yakubu Dogara. Askira said, “NARD hereby suspends the ongoing nationwide indefinite strike so as to enable the government implement the agreements reached within the agreed timeframe on or before 14th July 2016. “Work is to resume from Monday, 27th June, 2016, at 8am. This is with a view to relieve the impact of the strike on average Nigerians.” Askira explained that the strike which had been staggered from a centre base started from June 9 to a full blown national strike from June 20 to press home their demands. He said that although the leadership of the National Assembly had genuinely intervened in the matter with the hope to resolve the impasse, NARD would review the progress of the intervention at their National Executive Council coming up in July. Speaking to newsmen on the recent call to sack by the Minister of Health, Professor Issac Adewole, Askira dispelled it, adding that the minister agreed that 35,000 doctors more were needed in the healthcare system; so there was no room for sack and replacement of doctors. “You cannot sack someone and come to renegotiate with him,” he said. It would be recalled that the Minister of Health had given a directive to all Chief Medical Directors and medical directors of all public hospitals across the nation to immediately sack all striking doctors and replace them.