Easter: 11 processing youths killed by car — Nigerian Pilot News
Connect with us

Headlines

Easter: 11 processing youths killed by car

Published

on

Easter: 11 processing youths killed by car

Following reports that a car ran into processing youth early Monday morning, Hospital officials in Gombe State have confirmed 11 persons dead.

The victims were Christian youth on Easter Sunday procession when a car ran into them, witnesses said.

Dr Shuaibu Muazu, the Chief Medical Director, Specialist Hospital, Gombe, said eight bodies were brought in dead to the facility around 1a.m. and later three others were brought in.

Muazu said the corpses had been deposited at the hospital mortuary, while the injured were receiving treatment at the facility.

He said some of the injured were referred to Federal Teaching Hospital, Gombe, and some private hospitals for treatment.

Witnesses said the car was being driven by a member of Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
A witness who pleaded anonymity said the processing youths were members of Boys’ Brigade of ECWA Church, Bamusa, Barunde, Madaki and St Peter’s Anglican Church.

The witness said the youth were at Alheri Junction when the car with registration No. AS 385 GME, ran into them from the rear.

The witness said some angry youth attacked the driver who was later identified through his identity card as ASC 11 Adamu Abubakar, adding that the identity of other occupant of the vehicle was not known.

Mr. Isaac Kwadam, an official of Boys Brigade, Gombe Batallion, said he received information that NSCDC personnel driving a Honda car had altercation with the youth.

Kwadam said he learnt the NSCDC member later switched off his car light and drove into the procession from behind.

He said after the incident, the youth chased the driver, caught up with him and mobbed him and the other occupant, suspected to be a policeman.

Dr Godwin Omiko, Sector Commandeer, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Gombe State, confirmed the incident.

He said initial information suggested that the youth were attacked while they were conducting their Easter procession and so he immediately alerted the relevant personnel.

He said it was when FRSC personnel got to the scene they confirmed it was a crash and thereafter began rescue operations.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Governor of Gombe State and the leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), North East Chapter have appealed on the Christian Community to remain calm.

North East CAN Chairman, Rev. Abare Kala made the appeal in an interview with newsmen in Gombe yesterday.

Kala said that the association would follow due process to seek redress on the situation and that the Christian body was putting in efforts that would ensure that the situation was properly managed.

“We call on the Christian Community in Gombe to take the situation in good faith, be calm and also follow the right channel in seeking redress on the issue on ground.

“Two wrongs cannot make a right. So, I appeal for caution in the process of addressing the issue. If we apply the wrong approach, it will lead to another issue.

“For now, we are trying to calm the situation by appealing to Christians to see reasons for calm and allow the authorities concerned to take necessary measures.

“We have informed the security agencies concerned about the situation on ground.

“We are aware of the pain this sad event had caused, but let’s be calm and allow the leadership to handle the matter,” he said.

Also, the State Deputy Governor, Mr. Charles Iliya, appealed for calm adding that the government would take all necessary measures to ensure justice is done at the end.

He noted that it was a painful experience but appealed for calm to allow the relevant authorities carry out their duties.

Also, the Gombe State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, PRO, Mary Malum, who confirmed the accident, said that 10 persons died from it.

455 total views, 5 views today

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Click to comment
Advertisement
Advertisement
Loading...

Most Read