The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ebonyi has confirmed the retrieval of 14 corpses from the Akeze-Ukwu river after a Mercedes Benz 608 model bus plunged into it on Friday evening.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the bus was conveying members of a particular church who attended their pastor’s burial and were returning to Enugu when the incident occurred.
The bus driver was said to have lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake an articulated vehicle on the bridge but five victims were rescued unconscious on Friday.
Mrs Stella Uchegbu, FRSC Sector Commander in Ebonyi, told NAN on telephone on Saturday that the bus had been retrieved with 14 persons aboard.
“Seven males and seven females, all adults were inside the vehicle all and they were all dead.
“Their corpses have been deposited at the Mater Misericordae Hospital, Afikpo, but both professional divers from Port Harcourt and the local ones are still searching for more victims,” she said.
Uchegbu said that with five persons rescued on Friday and 14 corpses retrieved on Saturday, it was clear that there more victims still missing.
“This sums to 19 recovered persons as against the expected 32 passengers on board the bus.
“The FRSC personnel are still on ground, maintaining free flow of traffic with the road cordoned to motorists since Friday,” she said.
Chief Onyebuchi Ogbadu, Chairman of Ivo Local Government Area (LGA) of the state, disclosed that the state government hired divers from Rivers and Cross River to assist in the rescue efforts.
“The divers located the bus inside the river, pushed it to enable the crane pull it from the river,” he said.
Sources close to NAN revealed that the driver was one of the persons rescued on Friday and he disclosed when he regained consciousness that 32 persons were inside the bus.
“The driver said he managed to dive from the bus as it plunged into the river,” the source claimed. (NAN)
NIFROP urges #EndSARS protesters to seek forgiveness over killings of police officers, innocent Nigerians
Centre’s preliminary report indicts Nigerian celebrities in #EndSARs murders, arson
Commodore Oko Ebitu Ukiwe (rtd)
Hoodlums exchange gunfire with security officers in Kogi State
Headlines20 hours ago
#EndSARS: Tension as N’Delta militants roll out 11-point demand
Headlines21 hours ago
BREAKING: Thugs invade Abuja industrial estate, loot warehouses
Headlines22 hours ago
#EndSARS Fake News: Nigerians in Diaspora seek withdrawal of statements by UN, US
News21 hours ago
DJ Switch and blood of the innocent
News23 hours ago
Umahi sacks security aide, three others over razed police stations
News22 hours ago
#EndSARS protests: Patriotic Elders rally support for Buhari, say Nigeria must come first
News23 hours ago
#EndSARS: Lack of strategic engagement tactics by Buhari’s appointees responsible for crisis escalation – PGF DG
Headlines23 hours ago
FCTA disburses N2.495bn to 6 area councils