Ekiti State government has decided to review the tenure of local government officials from three years to two years to enhance effective participatory governance at the grassroots.
Also, a law that will prescribe a life jail term for kidnappers is in the works in Ekiti and will come into effect, according to a release signed and issued yesterday by the Chief Press Secretary, CPS to the Governor, Mr. Idowu Adelusi.
He said the decision was part of resolutions arrived at during the State Executive Council meeting presided over by the Deputy Governor of the state, Dr. Kolapo Olusola.
According to the Commissioner for Justice, Owoseni Ajayi, the proposed law would help stem the tide of abductions and kidnappings in the state for some months.
Also, all moveable property used by the abductors would be confiscated by the state government.
Owoseni said the state government considered the act of kidnapping, which is now rampart, as a serious social menace which must be discouraged and curtailed with a stern penalty that would curb the perpetrators and their collaborators before it gets out of hand.
The statement also said that the establishment of the Office of Public Defenders to enable the indigent with criminal cases have access to fair hearing by providing legal representation for them is being considered.
According to the Attorney General, all the bills had been prepared and would be sent to the Ekiti State House of Assembly in earnest for deliberation and passage into laws.
Also briefing the press, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Kola Kolade, said other far reaching decisions taken at the meeting included the approval of Prince Ajayi Oluwasesan Omolagba of Odanaogun ruling house as the person to occupy the stool of the Alasa of Ilasa-Ekiti, which has been vacant since October 1, 2012, while Prince Adetiba Jimoh Oluwagbemiga of Ogbalegbojuotupe ruling house was approved to occupy the stool of the Ajagun of Ilumoba-Ekiti, which has been vacant since July 30, 2009.
According to Kolade, all the necessary traditional and legal rules and procedures were critically considered and followed before the approval.
The Commissioner for Works and Transport, Kayode Oso, said that the State Executive Council also approved the reconstruction of the failed culverts at Iwesu River and the bridge in Otun-Ekiti which had become a death trap to the people and commuters plying the area.
Oso said the state government considered the reconstruction projects as very important because of the flood, which led to the loss of lives in the area in July this year and that the same route and bridge is the main link between Ekiti and Kwara states and this would boost economic activities between the two states.

READ ALSO  Boko Haram forces 1m Nigerian children out of school – UNICEF

Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.