Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has revealed that negotiations were ongoing for the concession of the narrow gauge rail lines across the country to General Electric (GE).
Amaechi, who made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria NAN in Abuja, said that the agreement would be signed before January 2017.
He said, “We are negotiating to concession the old narrow gauge lines from Lagos, Kano, Funtua, Kaduna, Port Harcourt, Aba, Umuahia, Enugu, Makurdi, Jos, Bauchi, Gombe to Borno.
The entire western and eastern lines will be rehabilitated but we will concession the project to GE and they are bringing in two billion dollars to embark on the project. “If we concession the lines to them and they run it with their money, then you can be rest assured that movement of goods will continue but at a slower speed.”
The minister said that the concession would be for a period of 20 to 25 years, stressing that GE would run it after reviving the lines and provide coaches on all the revived lines. Amaechi said that the first segment of the Lagos-Kano Rail Line project to be completed would be Lagos-Ibadan for economic reasons and to decongest Lagos.
According to him, the 1.56 kms double gauge Lagos-Ibadan rail line will be completed in 36 months adding that by early 2017, the Kano-Kaduna rail line project will commence. NAN reports that the Lagos-Kano standard gauge is a planned from Lagos port to Kano, near the Niger border.
The railway is being built in segments and only the segment between Abuja and Kaduna has been completed so far and services began officially in July 2016. The segment between Lagos and Ibadan is still under construction.
It would be recalled that after independence from Britain in 1960, the fortunes of Nigerian Railways declined progressively until the corporation virtually became comatose.

READ ALSO  The Government of the People’s Republic of China(PRC), on Thursday restated its commitment to strengthening peaceful diplomatic relations with the US Government, in the years ahead. Mr Lu Kang, Director-General of the Information Department of China’s Foreign Affairs Ministry, told Journalists at a news conference in Beijing, China that the Chinese government was set to expand its win-win cooperation with the US Government and the American people. “We are set to expand our cooperation with the United States. We hope to work with the US to expand our practical collaboration and the win-win cooperation, to strengthen China and US relations, in the years ahead. “China is working to maintain contacts with all parties, including the US, and all nationalities must collaborate effectively to de-escalate tension and live as friends. “Let me say that China’s position has been very clear with the United States and other nations. We, therefore, would welcome all those committed to promoting U.S./China relations,’’ he said. Lu said that the Chinese Government was not prepared to engage in any showdown with North Korea over the boundary issue, but would want India and North Korea to de-escalate tension with China. According to him, it is no longer pleasant for any country or government to want to start any form of tension, because of the possible consequences from such developments. “We all must try to de-escalate anything that could possibly lead to crisis between us. We do not pray for conflicts or war, because once war starts, the consequences could go out of control. “All countries should, therefore, be committed to promoting regional peace with their neighbours,’’ he said. Lu urged the media to desist from escalating issues between communities and countries of the world with their reports, but should rather use their professional competencies to promote peace nationally and internationally. (NAN)

Loading...
loading...
SHARE