A section of the Ebonyi State government house, Abakaliki, was yesterday gutted by fire.
The inferno which was promptly brought under control, only affected the office of the Special Assistant, SA, to Governor Dave Umahi on Petroleum Products, Pricing and Distribution, Mr Onyibe Basil. The affected building was beside the office of the governor.
According to eyewitnesses, the inferno started from an electrical junction box in the office of the special adviser.
One Mr. Sunday Nweze, a security man, was said to have used the available fire extinguishers to quench the fire even before the arrival of the fire fighters.
“We were here at the gate when people were shouting fire! fire!, running helter-skelter. When I got there, I saw that fire had gutted a section of the office of the SA on petroleum and I know how to operate the fire extinguishers,” he said.
According to Nweze, “I think the fire was caused by wire because when I came to the scene, it was at the television there that I met the fire burning up to the ceiling.”
Corroborating Nweze’s story, Chief Fire Officer in charge of government house, James Owo, explained that, “when we arrived here, the fire was already under control. We are happy the fire is under control now. From what we heard, it is from the socket, the junction box; you can see the number of wires connected to a particular joint, which is where the fire could have come from.”
Meanwhile, Dave Umahi told our reporter that he was not in Abakaliki as he had travelled with the governor, so he couldn’t comment on the fire until his return.

READ ALSO  Niger Govt revenue dropped by 50% – Gov Bello

Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.