Anambra State Fire Service yesterday warned against storage of petroleum products at home as well as keeping inflammable products within the reach of children.
Acting Director in the state Fire Service, Mr. Innocent Mbonu, gave the warning following a fire incident that killed four persons at Omuko village in Awka.
Mbonu, who noted that the fire incident was caused by a candle lit by one of the deceased child, added that a fuel hoarded in the same room increased the inferno.
According to him, the fire razed the entire Boys’ Quarter of the parents of the deceased, Mr. and Mrs. Chibuike Nwoye at night when both parents were not at home.
“The fire had consumed a large part of the building before fire fighters could reach the scene.
“The public should desist from storing petroleum products in their homes and should endeavor to keep children away from all inflammable products,” he warned.
Mbonu further advised the public to switch-off electrical appliances before living home or sleeping.
However, it was gathered that the incident claimed the lives of a boy and three girls who were aged nine, six, three and 13 respectively.
According to an eyewitness, the nine year old boy died during the inferno while the three girls died later in a hospital.
The Chairman of Awka South local council area, Mr. Azubuike Ilo, described the situation as “pathetic and unfortunate” for the family.
Ilo, who visited the scene said that government would look into safety measures that would give easy access for rescue teams in such emergencies.

READ ALSO  S/East CAN, elders urge Northern governors to protect Christians