Federal University of Technology, Owerri, FUTO community, has been thrown into panic following the abduction of the Head of Department of Information Management Technology, Dr. Felicia Eze, by gunmen.
The victim was kidnapped from her private residence at Umuezeawula Village of Ihiagwa Community in Owerri West Local Government Area of Imo State in the early hours of Monday and has not been released by her abductors.
Nigerian Pilot learnt that the kidnappers of the female don had opened negotiation with the family, demanding N20million ransom for her liberty.
The kidnappers have refused to bargain for anything less despite entreaties by the family.
A source revealed that three persons had been arrested by the state vigilante known as Imo Security Network, ISN, and handed over to the police for investigation over the incident.
When contacted, FUTO’s Public Relations Officer, Mr. Chike confirmed the incident, describing the abduction of the lecturer as shocking and dastardly.
He said that the university management is working with the family and the relevant state authorities to ensure her immediate release.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Andrew Enwerem, confirmed the incident and said that investigations were ongoing to rescue the lecturer unscathed.
Meanwhile, a 14-year-old boy, Uzoma Okereke, has been beheaded by his sibling, Chibuike Opara aged 17, at Umugaragu Village in Ezigaragu Enyiogugu Autonomous Community of Aboh Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State.
The victim was said to have met his untimely death while going to the farm to harvest oil palm fruits in company of three other boys who are now helping the homicide department of Imo State Police Command in investigations.
Okereke, Nigerian Pilot gathered, had his head cut off and left with the headless body in a bush near the farm.
Eyewitnesses revealed that though the boy’s throat was cut off, there was no trace of blood around the spot where his lifeless body was found, a situation that raised and complicated suspicion about what the actual motive of the killer was.
The source from Umugaragu Village told our correspondent that three of the boys who went with the deceased to the farm were arrested and are being interrogated before Chibuike Opara made a confessional statement to the police in Owerri.
According to him, the slain Uzoma had earlier in the day gone on errands for his mother and uncle before heading to the farm only to be found beheaded about 40 minutes later.
It was learnt that the incident took place between 10 and 11am that fateful day and the villagers were thrown into confusion and mourning following the tragedy while several of them have allegedly fled the village in fear.
Luck ran out on Chibuike when a villager said that he saw him coming out from the bush a few metres around the spot where the body of Uzoma was found and 10mins later news of the murder was heard in the community.
Based on the passerby’s report, the villagers went and nabbed Chibuike who confessed to killing the boy but claimed they had asked him to give him his rope used in climbing but he refused which caused them to fight and he killed him in the process.
In swift reaction, the villagers rushed to the home of the prime suspect and burnt buildings and property they could lay hands on.
Enwerem confirmed the incident saying the command had begun investigation into the matter.
He urged people of the area to remain calm, stressing that the perpetrators of the heinous crime would certainly be brought to book accordingly.

READ ALSO  WHO: Ebola vaccine shows ‘promising’ results