National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON, yesterday said 10 more bodies of deceased Nigerian pilgrims had been identified, bringing the number of pilgrims who died at Mina stampede to 64.
Director, Public Affairs of the Commission, Alhaji Uba Mana, giving newsmen update on the incident in Mecca, said 244 pilgrims had been declared missing.
Mana said 71 pilgrims were injured as against the 61 pilgrims earlier announced by the commission.
He said of the 64 deceased pilgrims, 46 were transported to Saudi Arabia by state pilgrims’ welfare agencies and 18 by private tour operators.
Mana also said that 12 of the 71 injured pilgrims were transported to Saudi Arabia by tour operators and 59 by state pilgrims’ welfare agencies.
He said the deceased were from Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Ekiti, Jigawa, FCT, Cross Rivers, Gombe, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi,
Kaduna, Kwara, Nassarawa, Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Plateau, Rivers Sokoto, Yobe, Taraba, and Zamfara.
It would be recalled that more than 769 pilgrims were reported to have died, and 805 others injured, during Thursday’s stampede on the way to the Jamrat complex
Meanwhile, Nasarawa State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board yesterday confirmed that one pilgrim from the state died while two others were missing in the Saudi Arabia pilgrimage stampede.
The confirmation is contained in a statement by the board’s Public Relations Officer, Mallam Abdulrazaq Mohammed, in Lafia.
According to the statement, one of the 54 Nigerian pilgrims confirmed dead by National Hajj Commission, NAHCON, in the stampede in Mina, Saudi Arabia, during this year’s Hajj, has been confirmed to be from Nasarawa state.
It added that two other pilgrims from the state who were declared missing had not been found.
The dead pilgrim, the statement said, is Mallam Ahmad Mainasara from Gadabuke community in Toto Local Government Area of the state.
It said that the deceased ‘’and a close companion were on their way to Jamrat (stoning) when he met his untimely death which was witnessed by the close companion who narrowly escaped the stampede’’.
It gave the name of the one of the missing persons as Mallama Rashida Shuaibu, adding that the name of the other, who hailed from Keffi had not been confirmed.
The board explained that its Executive Secretary, Mallam Abubakar Nalaraba, led other board members on a room-to-room search for pilgrims from state at the holy land “to take the stock of pilgrims from the state.”
It added that investigation was still on the whereabouts of the missing pilgrims.
The statement also announced the death of a pilgrim from the state, who passed on in Medina due to health challenges.
It said that the deceased, Abubakar Aliyu, from Lafia Local Government Area, took ill on arrival at the holy land and was in the custody of the state’s medical team for Hajj before he died.


Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.
SHARE
  • Solomon Braide

    Good one Mr CP, Why is it that Nigeria dont have armoured carriers before this time?