Property worth millions of naira were destroyed in the fire incident that occurred at the furniture section of Sabon Gari market, in Kano State on Thursday night, in which over 65 shops were reportedly raised down.
The Director of the State Fire Service, Alhaji Balarabe Kabara, told journalists that the fire incident started at the furniture section of the market around 8:30pm on Thursday.
But eye witness said property worth millions of naira were affected during the inferno that took a long time to battle, by the fire service men.
Kabara, the fire service boss, attributed the cause of the fire to negligence by the people.
“The main cause of the inferno is negligence because people are in the habit of playing with fire, especially now that it is harmattan period,” he said.
Eyewitness reports however said some miscreant were responsible for the incident targeted at shops owners who are predominantly non indigenes.
The director of fire service told journalist that permanent and temporary structures of the shops were affected.
Kabara said even though the fire incident was largely due to negligence, the agency would meet with the affected traders immediately to ascertain the level of damages and loss incurred individually.
Kabara, who advised the people to avoid unnecessary use of fire as any mistake could lead to fire disaster, said it took his men a long time to battle with the fire.
He recalled that seven female students recently lost their lives in fire incidents in two secondary schools in the state and advised school authorities to ensure proper monitoring of students.
Kabara also advised students to desist from cooking and using electrical appliances, especially water heater and pressing iron, in their hostels to avoid fire outbreaks.

READ ALSO  Federal legislator hospitalised after mob attack in Niger