Karshi residents lament abandonment after flood havoc — Nigerian Pilot News
Connect with us

Metro life

Karshi residents lament abandonment after flood havoc

Published

on

Following the flood disaster that ravaged Karshi district of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, recently,
residents of the community are still recounting their losses, as they lament that they had been
abandoned by authorities concerned.
Latest report has it that two more decomposing bodies were recently recovered, after the initial four
deaths recorded on the disaster, bringing the number of lives lost to the havoc to six.
The residents, who expressed concern that authorities of the FCT Administration are yet to come up
with emergency measures to prevent recurrence, as relief materials are yet to be provided for victims of
the flood after more than a week since the disaster.

The bodies of two other victims believed to have been swept away on a motorcycle by the flood were
recovered and buried at the bank of a river in a neighbouring village located kilometers away from the
community.
Despite promises by the FCT permanent secretary, Sir Christian Ohaa, to visit families of the victims and
mobilise engineers to the area to assess the damage, especially the culvert, and to work on ways to
forestall recurrence, families of the victims and the community say no sign of relief.
Recall that Karshi community was on Sunday, June 3 this year, was hit by a devastating flood that
initially claimed four occupants of a Toyota Sienna car, after a heavy downpour.
Two of the victims, Ambrose Umelelle, 26, and Esther Aka 20, who lived in Kokosu, Nasarawa State lost
their lives while a passenger narrowly escaped, having jumped out of the vehicle through a window.
It was gathered that the Search and Rescue team of the FCT Emergency Management Agency rescued
the bodies of the dead.
The FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Musa, had warned residents about the possibilities of flood in the
coming months.
While commiserating with people of the community over the disaster, FCT Permanent Secretary,
Chinyeaka Ohaa, who represented the minister, said he had directed a team to ascertain the cause of
the flood, as he also conveyed his condolences to the families of the two victims who resided in Kokosu
of neighbouring Nassarawa State.
“I have directed that our team of engineers should be dispatched to study the situation with a view to
stemming future occurrence. From all indications, this is a natural disaster. I am happy that our team is
on the ground for the search and rescue operations,” he said.
However, after the promises, some residents of Karshi still bewail their losses, claiming that noting had
still been done after the promises to assuage their pains.

2,724 total views, 5 views today

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Loading...
Click to comment
Advertisement
Advertisement
Loading...

Most Read