The meeting between the management of the Federal Medical Centre, Ebute Meta, Lagos and health workers was deadlocked on Thursday as the workers remained adamant on the strike.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the workers under the aegis of Joint Health Workers (JOHESU) on June 23, embarked on an indefinite strike over the management’s inability to meet their demands.

The meeting was presided over by the Chairman of the board of the hospital, Prof. Abayomi Durosimi-Etti, with the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Yewande Jinadu, union leaders and principal officers of the hospital in attendance.

The meeting which started around 11.00 a.m. lasted for about eight hours.

READ ALSO  Five killed, Catholic Church, houses burnt as Fulani herdsmen invade Enugu community

The Chairman of JOHESU, Mr Shehu Sulaiman, told NAN that the union expected the management to agree to all its demands.

“Failure to grant our requests means the continuation of the strike but we will also explore other avenues,’’ Sulaiman said.
Commenting on the outcome of the meeting, Durosimi-Etti, told NAN that the meeting was successful, noting however that “there still remains a grey area which I will personally look at.

“Two thirds of the demands had been resolved; it is just for me as the chairman of the board to help them to make some clarifications from the budget office and the Federal Ministry of Finance.

READ ALSO  DPC to participate in Bayelsa, Kogi governorship polls

“I have asked them to suspend the strike and they have promised to talk to their members to suspend the strike.

“It is a good meeting, I thought it would only last for 30 minutes but here we are for close to eight hours.

“We should keep on preaching dialogue and we would resolve many crises. From now on I expect better cooperation and support between the management and the workers,’’ he said.

Also commenting, Jinadu disclosed that the grey area which was yet to be settled was the payment of promotion areas demanded by the workers.

“The union members have announced that they have confirmation that we have received promotion arrears from the Federal Government but we are yet to disburse it to workers.

READ ALSO  BSDC warns against self-medication

“The management is insisting that we have yet to receive it.

“This morning some visitors from the budget office came here for oversight function and the leader of the team announced that he was promoted in 2013 to deputy director.

“He is yet to receive the promotion arrears for 2013, 2014 and 2015.

“Unfortunately, our unions have gone to the public to say they have evidences of payment.

“We expect that the union will call congress soonest to call off the strike and come back to work,’’ she said.