Ahead of the May 29th handover date by President Goodluck Jonathan to President-elect, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, the Presidential Transition Committee, yesterday held its first meeting in the State House, Abuja.
At the meeting chaired by Vice President Namadi Sambo, the terms of reference and guidelines for preparing the handover briefs for the incoming government were discussed.
Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Chief Anyim Pius Anyim, who fielded questions from State House correspondents after the meeting, said the committee had adjourned till April 20.
Asked if any time was set for the harmonization of the two committees set up by the President and Buhari, Anyim said that “after we have collected our own briefs from the Ministries Departments and Agencies, MDAs and then we put them together, we will then interface with the other committee so that whatever clarification they want, the questions they have, then we will be able to address them.
“The terms of reference of our committee is to collate relevant information for the handover briefs from all the MDAs, prepare them and interface with the incoming administration’s transition committee,” he said.
Others who attended the meeting were the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Bello Adoke; Police Affairs Minister, Abduljelili Adesiyan; Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, and Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar.
Presidency denies plan to spend N3bn on transition
Also yesterday, the Presidency denied a social media story that it plans to spend N3 billion on members of the transition committee.
Presidential spokesman, Dr. Reuben Abati, stated that no meeting of transition committees had held between the Presidency and the camp of the President-elect.
The controversial report titled: “Now I’m convinced we didn’t make a mistake”, reads:
“Buhari was at the Villa in connection with setting up a transition committee for handing over. At the meeting, Goodluck asked for the list of representatives of APC and the required remuneration.
“Buhari was surprised that Goodluck’s list and corresponding cost was put at N3billion for a job estimated to last only two months. Goodluck then asked why Buhari’s list didn’t show corresponding cost.
“Buhari answered that his team was made up of volunteers and their feeding would be by individuals/self even if they have to bring in leftover food from their homes. No word has been heard from the Presidency since then.
“This is the beginning of purposeful leadership….”
In his reaction, Abati said: ”This is pure fiction and blackmail. No such meeting or conversation ever took place. Whoever wrote the copy obviously has never heard of being magnanimous in victory. A charlatan certainly!”