Chairman, Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ, Abuja Council, Mr. Paul Ella Abechi, yesterday, urged Julius Berger Nigeria Plc to build an edifice which the country could remember it for, as part of its social responsibility to Nigeria. Mr. Ella gave this advice in Abuja at a parley with newsmen.
Mr Ella noted that the company has benefitted immensely from the Nigerian Government over the years in terms of patronage and yet there is no edifice that could be credited to the company in return for the goodwill extended by the country.
“We expect that your company – having benefitted from Nigeria and some of their largest markets – should put up something that the media can see to encourage the practicing journalists, especially in the FCT because as of today, there is no edifice that can be attributed or credited to Julius Berger, as part of your social responsibility to encourage the media,” he stressed.
The NUJ chairman however commended the management of the company for hosting the media interaction, explaining that the interactive session provided the opportunity for synergy and partnership between the media and the company. “Julius Berger is a leading engineering and construction company in Nigeria. From my rough estimates, Julius Berger gets about 70 per cent of all government jobs in the country while the remaining 30 per cent goes to others.
“However, I am worried that for all it has gained all these years from the Nigerian media and government, the company has not been socially responsible to Nigerian journalists. For instance, there is no edifice like a library or similar edifices built and equipped by Julius Berger for the journalists in the federal capital, the centre of their operations,” he said.
Mr Ella challenged the management of the organisation to start thinking in that direction of doing something that will facilitate the smooth relationship between the media and the company.
Earlier, members of the Executive Management of the company in a joint message to the press had requested the full participation of the professionals in helping to disseminate positive information on the activities of the giant corporation in Nigeria.
Executive Director of the company, Alhaji Zubairu Ibrahim Bayi, who conveyed the message noted the symbiotic relation between the media and Julius Berger, saying: “First, we both must conduct our work in the public domain. Second, we both work for the greatest good and benefit of our people. third, our company and the media almost face similar challenges in terms of the perceptions we receive from consumers of our works.”

READ ALSO  Youths storm US, Chinese embassies, threaten to shut down govt, business over detained president

Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.