No fewer than 100 security operatives besieged Agura Hotel in Abuja, venue of the election of a new leadership for the National Youth Council of Nigeria, NYCN, over the weekend.
After the election, Barrister Ugochinyere Ikenga, emerged the National President of the council.
A combined team of policemen, the Directorate of State Services, the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps and the Nigerian Army had taken over the venue of the hotel, apparently to stall the election of the new officials of the council.
Sources alleged that the security operatives were drafted to the venue, following a purported petition by the outgoing President of the council, Henry Nwabueze, that about 409 youths were in Abuja to cause possible breach of peace.
Delegates for the election were restrained from going in and out of the hotel, according to the council officials.
Though delegates were said to have concluded accreditation on Thursday night at the same venue, the election could not take place in the said hotel, following the heavy presence of security operatives.
The delegates were seen in groups discussing the development.
Ikenga and the electoral officers were earlier invited by the FCT Command of the Nigeria Police for questioning.
But the youths who vowed to resist any attempt to impose a candidate on them, moved to another location in Area 11, Abuja, and elected officials of the council.
The twist was to avoid the possible arrest of the Chairman of the Electoral Committee, Comrade John Nwakama, who declared Ikenga the winner of the election.
Nwakama said the era of imposition of candidates on the council was over, stressing that they decided to elect a president of their choice and would do everything possible to support President Muhammadu Buhari in his anti-corruption crusade.
Nwakama, however, lamented the intimidation of the delegates by security agents at Agura Hotel, saying they and the electoral committee were under house arrest.
“As early as 5am on August, 6, a truck load of DSS offocials from the FCT Command and anti-riot policemen from the FCT Command stormed Agura Hotel in a bid to abduct officials of the NYCN conducting the election (Congress Planning Committee and Electoral Committee). The move was resisted by our delegates and the police retreated temporarily.
“Around 4pm the same day, DSS officials from the FCT Command broke into Room 323, which was where the chairman of the CPC was staying and arrested/whisked him to an unknown location and up till this hour his whereabouts (Comrade Farouk Sulaiman) is unknown to us. As if to say to that was not enough, the venue of the congress, the Merit House, has been sealed off by the DSS.”
In his own comment after he was declared the winner of the election, Ikenga vowed to protect the interest of Nigeria, promising that Nigerian youths will not regret the confidence reposed on him.
He added that era of turning the council into an ‘ATM machine’ is over.

READ ALSO  INEC closes voters registration Aug.15 – Anambra REC