Members of the Cathedral Church of Christ, Onala in Ilaro area of Yewa South Local Government in Ogun State on Sunday prevented the Bishop of Yewa Anglican Diocese, Rev. Michael Adebayo Oluwarohunbi from presiding over the first service of the year 2016 in the Church.
The trouble started as members of the Church loyal to the former Provost of the Church, Solomon Oluwarotimi Adewunmi thronged the church on Sunday with placards demanding the removal or transfer of the Bishop from the Diocese.
Security operatives including the Nigerian Army, Police and officers of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC had to intervene and prevented the situation from going out of hand as the church was placed under seal.
Findings by Nigerian Pilot revealed that the Church had been
factionalised since 2014 when a Provost, Wusa Josiah Sunday was posted to the Church but was rebuked by members of the Church before the immediate Provost was posted to replace him.
It was further gathered that the whole matter escalated in March 2014 when Bishop Oluwarohunbi was posted to the area to oversee the Yewa Diocese.
A member of the Church who introduced himself as Taiwo Olatunji told our Correspondent that the Bishop resumed in the Diocese and cancelled many programs of the church, including Prayer Mountain claiming that it was against the principles of the Church.
Olatunji, a member of the People’s Warden in the Church said the Bishop also cancelled a revival organized by the Cathedral last July but put in place a family funfair in place of it.
It was further gathered that the Bishop was alleged to be a cult
member and prevented any programme that has to do with prayer in the Church. The Provost was said to have turned down the advance of the Bishop to join the cult group.
Nigerian Pilot also gathered that the Bishop had to petition the
Department of State Services, DSS in July last year alleging threat to his life by the Provost.
The following Sunday, loyalists of the provost reportedly prevented the loyalists of the Bishop from presiding over the Church but preferred to shut the Church instead.
It was also gathered that the Bishop had to dissolve all standing
committees of the Church on August 2, 2015 which affected the Provost, People’s Warden and many priests of the church, many of whom were loyal to the Provost.
The Primate of Anglican Church of Nigeria, Nicholas Okoh reportedly intervened in the lingering crises when all parties were invited to Abuja where the Bishop was reportedly ordered to return all the standing committees of the Church.
The Provost was however prevailed upon to be transferred away from the Diocese as there were threats to his life.
His letter of transfer, according to the findings was delivered to the Bishop on December 8, 2015 but that the Bishop wrote another covering letter, instructing the Provost to proceed on compulsory leave.

READ ALSO  APC dead without PDP elements – Jonathan