Ogun State government, yesterday, said it has recorded the first case of the dreaded Lassa fever in the state.
The State Commissioner of Health, Dr. Babtunde Ipaye stated while addressing a press conference at the Governor’s office Press Center in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, that laboratory test has confirmed the case of a 28-year-old woman infected with the virus.
The commissioner explained that, while the victim has been immediately isolated at the center provided at the Ogun State University Teaching Hospital in Sagamu, 60 other primary contacts have been listed for surveillance.
Three family members were reported to have been listed, according to the Commissioner, explaining that the primary contacts which included 35 from Rubee Medical Center and 22 from Central Specialist Hospital are staffers of the two hospitals where the victims have been to.
Dr. Ipaye, who was flanked by other officials of the ministry, said the lady attended a burial ceremony in Ebonyi State where several cases have been reported before travelling back to the state in January.
She was reported to have been down with fever about two weeks ago and immediately reported herself at Rubee Medical Center in Sango, where she was referred to the Central Specialist Hospital after spending one week in the first hospital.
“It is unfortunate that we have done a lot to remain negative as a state but at every point where the status change, it is also important to be honest and communicate with the people of the state without necessarily creating panic.
“Let me tell you that we have discovered the first case of lassa fever in Ogun State, yesterday about 8.10pm when the confirmatory diagnosis was brought to us. It was a case of a 28-year-old lady who had travelled to Ebonyi State on 8th of January this year. She had gone to attend a burial ceremony; we do not know what exactly killed the person that was buried but she was part of the burial arrangement.
“She came back to Ogun State on the 15th of January and not long after she came back from Ebonyi, she started having fever and she reported in the first private hospital in Ota; Rubee Medical Center on January 25 and she was there until 2nd February when she was referred to another hospital, Central Specialist Hospital in Ota before the case was immediately reported to us; because the signs and symptoms were suggesting Lassa,” he explained.

READ ALSO  Man loses 10 years marriage over joblessness