The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has raised the alarm over card reader failures, ongoing campaign by members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in polling units of some wards among other irregularities in the Saturday ongoing Ondo State governorship election.
The PDP in a statement signed by the national publicity secretary, Prince Dayo Adeyeye, stated that the part of its observation include poor preparation by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as well as the various security officials deployed for the exercise.
Read the full statement below…
Ondo Decides: Early Observations from the Election – PDP
1. Early observations from the Conduct of the Ondo State Gubernatorial Election has shown several irregularities and poor preparations on the part of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as well as men and officers of the Nigerian Police and other security agencies.
2. Voters in several parts of the State have suffered several incidents of Card Reader failures. Despite the fact that INEC owns more than xxx units of Card Readers, in several locations there are no back up Card Readers. As such, many voters are already being deprived of the right to cast a vote for the candidate of their choice.
For instance, the Polling Unit of Governor Olusegun Mimiko suffered Card Reader failure at his Polling Unit – Ward 7 Unit 20 Ondo West Local Government Area – that has prevented voters from casting their votes.
3. In Ward 2 of Akure South Local Government Area, Tunji Light-Ariyo, a known Chieftain of the All Progressives’ Congress (APC) was recorded campaigning on behalf of and canvassing for votes for the APC candidate – Chief Rotimi Akeredolu – at PUs 28, 29, and 30 in spite of the prohibition of such actions by the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended).
The recording of this event also clearly show several police officers and men of other security agencies standing by and doing nothing while this was going on. In fact the video shows that the police men were providing security cover for him.
4. We view these incidents for what they are – violations of the law and evidence of the plots to rig the elections in favour of Chief Rotimi Akeredolu.
5. We reiterate our earlier warnings that we will not stand by and watch anyone tamper with the democratic process and subvert the will of the Ondo people.
Prince Dayo Adeyeye
National Publicity Secretary