Property worth millions of naira was over the weekend destroyed as fire razed five shops and three rooms in Ilorin, the Kwara State. Also, a middle-aged man, Wasiu Abdulrasaq, who attempted to evacuate property from the affected building was choked by the fumes and was receiving treated in a private hospital in Ilorin as at the time of filing this report. Our Correspondent gathered that the fire emanated from a shop of an electronic repairer in the affected building around 11:30 am. A Resident of the area, Sulaiman Abdullahi, attributed the fire incident to power upsurge, adding that fire erupted barely five minutes after power was restored to the area. He said: “Fire started not more than five minutes after power was restored in the area and when I heard the strange noise, I quickly rushed to disconnect power but it was too late”. Also, the Chairman of the Ita- Kure Community, Mallam Soliu Jimba, said he alongside others rushed down to the office of the Fire Service to inform its officers about the incident, adding that before the fire fighter could arrive the scene, it had escalated. He, however, commended the state’s Fire Service for its timely intervention in putting out the fire, saying despite the late arrival, its men were able to handle the situation. Speaking from his hospital bed, the victim said he was fixing tyre of his Motorcycle when the incident occurred, explaining that he decided to join other
READ ALSO Fuel scarcity: Queues may return as oil marketers cry out over foreign exchange impairs import
Security service organizations including the Department of State Service (DSS) have identified an Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) network operating within some...