Property worth millions of
naira was over the weekend
destroyed as fire razed five shops
and three rooms in Ilorin, the
Kwara State.
Also, a middle-aged man,
Wasiu Abdulrasaq, who
attempted to evacuate property
from the affected building was
choked by the fumes and was
receiving treated in a private
hospital in Ilorin as at the time of
filing this report.
Our Correspondent gathered
that the fire emanated from a
shop of an electronic repairer
in the affected building around
11:30 am.
A Resident of the area,
Sulaiman Abdullahi, attributed
the fire incident to power
upsurge, adding that fire erupted
barely five minutes after power
was restored to the area.
He said: “Fire started not more
than five minutes after power
was restored in the area and
when I heard the strange noise,
I quickly rushed to disconnect
power but it was too late”.
Also, the Chairman of the Ita-
Kure Community, Mallam Soliu
Jimba, said he alongside others
rushed down to the office of the
Fire Service to inform its officers
about the incident, adding that
before the fire fighter could
arrive the scene, it had escalated.
He, however, commended
the state’s Fire Service for its
timely intervention in putting
out the fire, saying despite the
late arrival, its men were able to
handle the situation.
Speaking from his hospital
bed, the victim said he was fixing
tyre of his Motorcycle when the
incident occurred, explaining
that he decided to join other sympathizers who assisted
in evacuating property in the
razed building.
He said: “ I was fixing
my tyre when I saw people
shouting and when officials
of the arrived and putting out
the fire, I felt I should not just
stand by watching, so I tried to
help in evacuating belongings
alongside other sympathizers.
“When I walked down the
staircase, I realised I could
not breath again and the next
thing I noticed was that I
found myself in the hospital
here”


SHARE
Ad Are you a One Minute Man? This Nafdac Approved Solution Would Help you Last 30mins+ with no side effects" Visit: