Despite on-going reforms in the power sector, Nigerians are yet to experience significant improvement in power supply in their homes, a survey conducted by NOIPolls has revealed.
According to a statement signed by NOIPolls operating officer/director of Research, Dr Bell Ihua, the survey conducted in the first quarter of 2015, an average of 62.6 percent of Nigerian households say they have seen no improvement in power supply to their households (from Q1 2013-Q1 2015), leaving only 37.4 percent who said they saw some improvement.
Accordingly, the statement notes that for a period of two years of monitoring trends in the power sector, there has been no remarkable improvement in power supply, as the larger proportion of Nigerians did not see any improvement in power supply to their households.
“In line with this finding, the South-West region had the highest average proportion, 67 percent and the South-East region had the lowest average proportion, 56 percent of respondents who saw no improvement in power supply to their households.
“More findings revealed that over the same period, Nigerian households received an average daily cumulative power supply of between 5.4 – 7.1 hours per day. These findings highlight the existence of certain inherent issues in the nation’s power generation, transmission and distribution value chain.
The statement further notes that the direct effect of these issues can generally be seen in the widespread purchase and use of alternative sources of power (such as generators, inverters, and solar installations etc) by a high percentage of Nigerians (average of 77.5 percent) saying it has also impacted on the spending of Nigerians on power supply; as these alternative sources are typically more expensive to run than direct power supply from DISCOs.
“An evaluation of expenditure of Nigerians on actual power supply from Distribution companies, DISCOs; as well as expenditure on alternative sources, revealed that on the average (between Q2 2014 and Q1 2015) Nigerians spent between N3,302 – N3,613 on actual power supply from DISCOs and between N8,321 – N11,198 on alternative sources of power.
“This therefore brings the average total monthly expenditure on power to between N11,623 – N14,811. This finding throws light on some challenges Nigerians (especially low income earners) may be facing in the distribution of household consumption-expenditure; giving that the average income for Nigerians in this category ranges from N5,000 – N40,000.”

READ ALSO  Man, 47, in court over alleged rape of minor

Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.