Operation Safe Haven, OPSH, deployed to restore law and order in Plateau State yesterday said it had stationed security agents at strategic and flash points to ensure a peaceful Eid- Maulud and Christmas celebration.‬
‪OPSH Commander, Major General Tagbo Ude who addressed troops after a show of force which lasted three hours around the city said the task force was prepared to deal with any criminal who attempts to breach the relative peace in the State.‬
‪General Ude said, “I thank you for your relentless effort in ensuring peace returns to Plateau State. You have a duty to ensure that the good people of Plateau State sleep with their two eyes closed while you work round the clock.”‬
‪He said the task force was prepared to ensure a peaceful festive period and urged citizens of the State to be security conscious as well as cooperate with security agents in their various locations.‬
‪our correspondent reports that the show of force comprised of members of the armed forces working with OPSH from all the sector commands, the State Security Service, the Nigerian Police, Prison service as well as Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.‬
Meanwhile a Plateau State High court has ordered Operation Safe Haven, the multi-security tasks force maintaining peace in Plateau and parts of Bauchi States to release one Anas Idris arrested by security agents on the 19th of Nov. for an undisclosed offence.
The court last week refrained OPSH from taking further steps in connection with the matter or maintaining status quo or staying all actions pending the determined action of a substantive application. It ordered that “leave is granted for the respondent to release or order to be released on bail of the applicants forthwith from detention pending the determination of the substantive application.”
An affidavit in support of motion on notice issued to the court revealed that Anas Idris and his brother Isah Idris of Nasarawa Gwom, Jos North local government area of Plateau State were arrested by officers of OPSH and Police officer in their home on the 19th of Nov. The affidavit explained that security agents had searched the suspect’s residence and found nothing incriminating following which the applicants were bundled into a patrol vehicle and taken to OPSH headquarters.
It added that Isah Idris was release on the 23rd of Nov. having been detained for four days while Anas is still being detained. The applicant’s counsel, Akibu Idris is asking the court to declare the detention of the applicants without formal charges before any competent court as unconstitutional, unlawful and constitutes a flagarant violation of the applicants fundamental human rights to personal liberty, fair hearing and freedom of movement as guaranteed by the constitution.‬
The applicants are also asking the court to direct the respondents to pay a sum of N5million as compensation for the breach of their fundamental human rights.
OPSH Media and Information Officer, Captain Ikedichi Iweha yesterday said the task force had received the court injunction and was looking into it but said the suspect was no longer in their custody.
Captain Iweha said the suspect in question is aiding investigations elsewhere. It is normal when suspects are picked up and their links established they are transferred to the area close to where they can cooperate with investigations.”