A member of the House of Representatives, representing Makurdi/Guma Federal Constituency of Benue State, Dickson Tarkighir, yesterday petitioned the National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, over alleged reprisal attack of some soldiers from NASME Barracks on a community in Markurdi on August 14.
Tarkghir, who led a delegation of some members of the North Bank 2 community in Makurdi local government area to the headquarters of NHRC in Abuja yesterday, said the soldiers staged their attack late in the night of August 14 and lasted till the next morning, beating up residents and destroying property belonging to the residents.
According to him, the soldiers, during the attack which lasted till the morning of August 15, allegedly set ablaze over 200 cars and shattered glasses of more than 100 houses as well as those of over 150 cars.
The lawmaker, who read his petition dated September 1, aloud at the conference hall of the commission where the NHRC officials received his delegation yesterday, did not disclose if anybody died or injured in the attack, but stated that the community was left in tears at the end of the reprisal.
In the petition which was addressed to the Executive Secretary of NHRC, Prof. Bem Angwe, Tarkghir alleged that the soldiers’ reprisal was triggered by an altercation between a soldier, Private Innocent Okoro, and three young men in the community over a lady on the day preceding the attack.
The petition read in part, “On the night of August 14, 2015, some soldiers from the NASME barracks in North Bank 2 of Makurdi local government embarked on what they termed a reprisal attack on the community.
“This so called reprisal attack was triggered by an altercation earlier in the day between a soldier, PTE, Innocent Okoro, and three other young men over a lady.
“This reprisal attack carried with it the hallmark of a lawless society as soldiers showed their disregard for civil authority in the pursuit of justice and descended on an entire community at the dead of night, beating up residents and commuters as they also set over 200 cars ablaze while shattering the glasses of more than 100 houses and about 150 other cars they did not have the time to set ablaze.
“This sordid act lasted till the early hours of August 15, 2015, and left in its aftermath, charred remains of burnt cars, hundreds of injured residents in hospitals, shattered windscreens of cars, punctured tyres of vehicles, broken windows and doors to residential apartments and a community in tears wondering what wrong they had done.”

READ ALSO  Saraki seeks probe of students’ death in Kano inferno