senate
senate

Senate yesterday asked all the states in the South-East and South-South where protesting youths and security agents were killed to investigate the causes of those killings.
The resolution followed the adoption of a request by Deputy President Ike Ekweremadu, which drew the attention of senators to the tragedy.
Citing Order 43 of the Senate Standing Rule, Ekweremadu noted that the killing of young men and women was disastrous to the future of the country, pointing out that the youths represented the future of the Nigerian nation.
He urged security agencies to apply caution in seeking to quell protests in any part of the country.
“I will like to use this opportunity under Order 43 to say that the security agencies must apply caution in trying to quell disturbances.
“We have had so much of blood bath in this country under different circumstances and we cannot continue to lose young men and women because the future of this country belongs to them.
“It is important that this Senate rises to condemn any act of killing in any part of this country, especially with the one that concerns the major part of our future which remains the young men and women of this country.”
According to Ekweremadu, “We are now in a democracy and people should be entitled to speak their mind, to assemble under responsible circumstances and security agencies must also be responsible in dealing with those circumstances to ensure that lives are not lost unnecessarily
“So I just wish to bring to the notice of the Senate for us to take note and possibly ask the states involved to set up enquiry to find out what led to this clashes and the number of people lost, and to ensure that this doesn’t happen in the future.”
In his ruling, Senate President Bukola Saraki ‎said necessary action should be taken to address the matter.
“Distinguished colleagues, the deputy Senate president brought this to my attention. In line with our rules on this unfortunate incident that has happened and as regards our rules, there cannot be any debate on it.
“But I think that the point he has raised must draw attention and see what necessary action will be taken in other to address this matter,” the Senate president noted.
Two policemen and some of protesting youths were suspected killed on Monday when protest by members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, and the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra, MASSOB, and Biafra Independence Movement, BIM, turned violent in some South-East and South-South states.

Police to disarm IPOB activists, condemn killing of policemen
Following the manifestation of the disposition of the armed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, activists to undertake premeditated attacks on police officers engaged in operations aimed at restoring public order in states in the South-East and South-South geo-political zones of the country, the Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Arase has directed the Assistant Inspectors General of Police and the Commissioners of Police in the affected areas to disarm members of the group immediately.
The directive was contained in a statement issued by the Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olabisi Kolawole.
The statement said the IGP noted that the targeted attacks on police personnel, who had been performing their statutory functions in the most professional and civil manner since the latest resurgence disorder, portrayed the IPOB activists who are orchestrating the insurrection as having crossed the threshold in their misguided attempt to test the common will of the nation.
ACP Kolawole said the IGP, while condemning the killing by members of IPOB, also directed the arrest of any member of the group found in possession of firearm and bring him/her to deserved justice, while all IPOB activists arrested in connection with the killing of the policemen should be charged to court for murder.
The statement assured that the Nigeria Police Force would continue to diligently work towards eliminating any threat to internal security and assured Nigerians of its commitment to their safety and security.

IPOB accuses Buhari, Obiano of causing Onitsha mayhem
Leadership of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has accused President Muhammadu Buhari and Govvernor Willie Obiano of Anambra of causing the problem in Onitsha that culminated in deaths of tens of people.
In a terse press statements signed by IPOB spokesmen, Barr Emma Mmezu, Dr. Clifford Iroanya and Emma Powerful respectively, the group maintained that there were pre-meditated plans to clamp down on the peaceful demonstrators by the federal government and Gov. Obiano who did nothing to avert the mayhem.
“IPOB family members worldwide raised alarm before now that FG and security agents have perfected plans to kill and maim the unarmed civilians without provocation.
“The members of IPOB who travelled from far away moved into a Catholic Church along Nkpor Umuoji Road to seek the consent of Chukwuokike Abiama (God Almighty) who has been guiding us in this noble project, the combined security agents moved into the church and killed so many and a lot of people were wounded,” the statement noted.
They maintained that before President Buhari came to power, they had been having their commemorations without bloodshed until now.
“Beginning at 1.30am Monday, 30th May, brutal repression was ordered on unarmed youths at St Edmund’s Church compound, Nkpor, Anambra State, 23 were gunned down before dawn.
“Onitsha Bridge was blocked by the same military goons to stop our people from Delta and beyond from linking up with the crowd in Anambra. 16 were gunned down there. All around Onitsha and environs, brutal crackdown ensued all over the town before noon, another nine souls were destroyed.
“Totaling 48 lives in all, over a hundred injured some with live threatening gunshot wounds and hundreds captured and driven away.
“As the blood thirsty soldiers jubilate over their destruction of innocent lives and Pharaoh grinning with satisfaction, the land is aghast with shock, sorrow and indescribable pain in their hearts.
“As the authorities churn out infantile lies about policemen being attacked (lies only the government owned news agency spewed) in order to paint us black in their weak attempt to incite the public against us, we wonder why they believe that the public are so naive and gullible to believe such wild tales.
“In 2014 and 2015 our May 30th memorial did not record any causality, simply because Pharaoh has not yet occupied Aso Villa. The occupant of the villa at that time did not have a compelling mission to sustain the lopsided unitary structure of Nigeria at all costs. He did not suffer from the paranoid of desert encroachment (as someone confessed at the palace of Emir of Kastina recently); therefore, the last occupant of the villa was not scared of the truth about Nigeria.
“He even convened a confab to correct the absurdities of our unworkable structure; he did not take power with the singular mission of sustaining a crumbling structure by fire by force,” the statement pointed.
It added: “Days before May 30th, battalions of soldiers were mobilised to Onitsha with a mandate to provoke crisis and kill as many unarmed youths as possible.
“The belief that cold blooded murders and spewing out falsehood to the public in order to justify this premeditated genocide will eventually force us to love Nigeria is actually idiotic.
“The conspiracy with political leaders to secretly endorse this mindless bloodletting by keeping quiet cannot succeed in burying the truth. The truth is like seeds; it germinates when buried and grows into thick indestructible foliage.
“The blood of our brothers murdered in Onitsha and elsewhere on Monday will only germinate to a thick irrepressible forest of truth, valour and freedom.
The group stressed that “the worst side of it was that the members who were coming to honour the Biafra fallen heroes and heroines have not reached to the venue for the ceremony before they met their untimely death. The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, discovered Hausa/Fulani terrorist groups who were not on uniforms attacking our members with the army, navy and police, and they killed and carried the dead bodies with their Hilux vans. The number of people killed in yesterday’s attack were 53, those with bullet wounds 207 and those arrested (are) 403.
“We accuse the governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano, of being the brain behind the attack yesterday and for the chief security officer of the state to allow such thing to happen in his state and making a press statement that hoodlums hijacked the democracy day proves that he masterminded the killing of his people. IPOB wants to ask Chief Obiano if IPOB committed crime by remembering the Biafra fallen heroes and heroines who died during the genocidal war against the Biafrans, or committed crimes by doing the re-burial of those who died during the civil war on 12th January 2015 at Ekwueme Square in Awka, Anambra State?” the group queried.


Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.
SHARE