Gov El Rufai
Gov El Rufai

Gov. Nasiru El-rufai of Kaduna State on Friday said anyone indicted by the Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by the state government in December Shiites-Army clash in Zaria would be appropriately sanctioned.

El-Rufai said this while receiving the report of the Commission in Kaduna.

The commission, inaugurated in January, was mandated to investigate the clash between the Shiites Islamic Movement and the Nigerian Army in Zaria.

The governor said the report would be diligently studied for proper implementation.

He said the state government would be guided by the commission’s recommendations in assigning administrative and criminal responsibility to those who allegedly participated in the violence.

“Kaduna State has witnessed at least 10 rounds of ethnics and religious violence in the last three decades,“he said.

El-Rufai said a white paper conveying the decision of government on the recommendations of the commission would be issued promptly.

“And the necessary follow up actions will be taken to avoid similar crises that took place in the last three decades in parts of state.”

El-rufai said the commission was set up to provide best option for accountability and transparency in providing justice to the affected persons in the mayhem.

He commended the chairman and members for accepting to serve in the commission and for their commitment.

The chairman of the commission, Justice Mohammad Garba, had earlier thanked the state government for finding them worthy to participate in the inquiry.

He, however, said that members of the Shiites movement did not appear before the commission, adding that they had decided to opt out of the hearing without formal reason.

Garba said the commission could not meet up with the six-week deadline because of the group’s failure to appear despite efforts made to convince the sect to appear before it.

“They were represented by a counsel and they decided to opt out without formal reason or formal communication,“Garba said.

He appreciated the public support and the security agencies while conducting the public hearing.

He said more than 350 memos were received from within and outside the state.

The chairman also said that 40 copies of the final report had been presented to the state government for necessary action.

About 347 people had been killed during the clash. (NAN)


Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.
SOURCENAN
SHARE