Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir is expected to travel to China on Monday for a four-day visit, the foreign ministry said, defying an international warrant for his arrest.

The Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC) issued arrest warrants for Bashir in 2009 and 2010, accusing him of masterminding genocide and other atrocities in his campaign to crush a revolt in the western Darfur region.

READ ALSO  South-East governors condemn invasion, shooting at Nnamdi Kanu’s residence

Members of the ICC are obliged to act on arrest warrants. China is not a member.

Bashir, who rejects the court’s authority, has managed to travel within Africa and the Middle East.

In June, he was forced to flee South Africa, however, after a court ruled he should be banned from leaving pending the outcome of a hearing on his possible arrest.

READ ALSO  Nasarawa Assembly orders contractors to complete projects in 2 weeks

Sudan’s foreign ministry said Bashir would visit China for a commemoration of the end of World War II.

Bashir, who has ruled Sudan since a 1989 Islamist and army-backed coup, has not travelled outside the Middle East or Africa since 2011, when he also visited China.

READ ALSO  Gunmen abduct 75-year-old woman in Sokoto - Police

He is due to travel to New York in September for the United Nations General Assembly, Sudan’s deputy U.N. envoy said earlier this month.


loading...
SHARE