Two suicide bombers have killed no less than 20 persons and injured 41 in Kuje and Nyanya areas o0f Abuja, the Fe3deral Capital Territory.
According to reports the bombers targeted the Kuje evening market, the police station in Kuje, and the Nyanya busy bus stop.
The first occurred in front of the police station, while the second occurred at the town’s main market, 15 minutes apart from other.
A third explosion was reported at Nyanya Bus Station thereafter. Nyanya was the scene of two bombings in 2014, leading to scores of death.
According to eye-witness accounts, the first female suicide bomber believed to be a 15-year-old, alighted from an motorbike in front of the Kuje Police Station at exactly 9.25 pm last Friday night and made for the station but seconds after the Okada that dropped her left, the bomb, apparently timed, exploded killing the bomber.
Fifteen minutes later, the male bomber who was also on an Okada, arrived the entrance of the Zamfara Market which incidentally is a massive market, carrying a leather bag. He approach a roasted meat (Suya) seller and asked if he could assist him with some change to enable him pay off the Okadaman.
When the Suya man told the bomber that he didn’t have the change, the bomber dropped his bag and told the roasted meat seller to help him look after it while he ask’s someone else. Minutes after the bomber left, the bomb exploded, killing and ripping off anybody that was close by.
According to the eyewitness, Abraham Gabriel, who was one of the first persons to arrive the scene, the Suya seller, a pregnant woman, a child were among the casualties.
Continuing Abraham said, initially when the first bomb went off, he thought it was an electric transformer close to the Kuje Police station that exploded but it was later discovered to be a bomb.
It was while the Police was trying to ascertain what was going on that the market bomb went off 15 minutes later with a more deafening noise.
He further disclosed that before help came from the Police, Army and NEMA, Fire Service, NSCDC for rescue efforts, he along with some persons stopped a good Samaritan who used his car to evacuate the injured to the Kuje General Hospital four times, adding that he saw two persons die on the spot before they could be rescued.
At the Nyanya end of the city, a female suicide bomber was said to have made attempt to scale the fence into the Nyanya Police station when the bomb strapped to her body exploded, killing her and one person while 21 persons were injured.
National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, after evacuating victims of bomb blast in Kuje, headquarters of Kuje area council and Nyanya in Abuja municipal area council, AMAC to various hospital in Abuja city, confirmed that 59 people were affected.
Abuja Zonal Cordinator of NEMA, Ishayah Chonoko 18 persons lost their lives and 41 injured of which 3 died and 21 injured in the Nyanya incident, while 15 died and 20 injured in Kuje.
Meanwhile the Director General of NEMA, Mohammed Sani-Sidi, has assured that the government would foot the medical bill of the victims.
Sidi advised on the need for security consciousness among the citizens by reporting any suspicious objects and strange movement in their localities to security agencies.
Eyewitnesses confirmed that the suicide bomber who targeted the Kuje police station died while climbing the fence of the station when the bomb that was strapped to his body went off.
According to Datti, said, “Out of the rush, different reports and accounts were given. The update I have is that there were twin suicide bombs in each of the locations where the blasts occurred. The first twin bomb blasts occurred at Nyanya. Another set of twin bomb blasts by suicide bombers occurred at Kuje.
“The blasts in Nyanya occurred at almost the same place where the last bomb explosion happened in that area. But this time, there were two suicide bombers and they detonated their bombs there. Many people didn’t know that there were two suicide bombers and they both detonated their bombs.”
Datti said, “One was detonated at the evening market in Kuje and the second one was detonated when the suicide bomber was attempting to climb the fence of the police station still in Kuje.”
He said, “In Kuje, 13 persons have been confirmed dead, while two people were killed in Nyanya. In Kuje 20 people were injured, while 21 were injured in Nyanya. This means a total of 41 persons were injured while 15 deaths were recorded. Please these were as a result of suicide bomb attacks and not that bombs were planted in these areas as speculated.”
Similary, the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Solomon E. Arase has assured Abuja residents and the entire country not to panic as the Police is prepared to do all within its reach to ensure adequate security of lives and property.
IGP Arase said those that did these dastardly acts, did so in shame of cowardice, saying no matter their aim, Nigeria will not accommodate terrorists’ acts.
According to a press statement issued yesterday by the Force Public Relationship, acting assistant commissioner of police, ACP Olabisi Kolawole, the Police High Command ordered an immediate deployment of Police Explosives Ordinance Disposal Units to the scenes to prevent further destructions.
The statement revealed further that preliminary investigations revealed the bomb blasts were carried out by two suicide bombers – a male and a female. She said the IGP has ordered massive stop-and-search activities in and around the FCT.
The police chief urged Nigerians to be vigilant at all times and report any suspicious persons or objects to the nearest Police Station or any other security agencies for prompt interventions.
Abuja, has been hit by several bombings. First was the October 1 bombing of 2010, followed by the Police Headquarters in June 2011, UN Headquarters in August 2011, Nyanya Bus Station, April 2014 and Barnez Plaza in June last year.
All the bombs were claimed by Boko Haram.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: Donald Trump has won South Carolina's Republican primary: