The Taliban has claimed responsibility for an overnight attack on a guesthouse in the diplomatic enclave of the Afghan capital that ended after a stand-off with government forces.

The interior ministry said the fighters had been armed with a rocket-propelled grenade launcher and other weapons. All four attackers were killed and no other casualties were reported.

READ ALSO  Benue Assembly passes N97.9bn appropriation bill into law

Earlier on Tuesday, security forces had been deployed to the Wazir Akbar Khan area after heavy gunfire and a series of explosions were heard.

Al Jazeera’s Jennifer Glasse, reporting from Kabul, quoted police as saying that a suicide bomber detonated a bomb, then gunfire erupted as security forces shot at suspects in a “complex” attack which appeared to involve several targets.

READ ALSO  FG targets $6bn yearly from seafarers’ export

More than a dozen explosions were heard in the space of an hour.

Most of the blasts had sounded like rockets, but several more powerful explosions could have been suicide bombings, an Afghan security source told Reuters news agency.

READ ALSO  Bomb Threat makes Turkish Airlines Makes emergency landing at Shannon Airport

The manager of the guesthouse, owned by the family of Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani, said all guests were in safe rooms and no one was hurt.

Ad:See How you can turn $500 into $10,000 Click HERE For Details.